Last night I trashed the birdhouse, ripped the paper off and undid everything I'd done to it. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it was TOO pretty and I wanted something more grungey and vintage. So I've set it aside until I get inspired to work on it again.
I made this for the Created by Hand challenge to use something I'd never used before. Well I've been wanting to do image transfers for some time, and bought a bottle of Transcryl from an art shop. What you do is paint several coats over the image, letting each dry, and then you can rub the paper off the back and the image is on the "plastic" you're left with. The black and white image of children here is the result but I'm not too thrilled with this product - the resultant "plastic" is a little thick with all those coats, and unpleasingly shiny (which doesn't show in the picture). Also the edges are very definite and I was looking for a more ragged, distressed edge.
However, it does what it says on the label even if I'm not keen on the result.
Images of Victorian children are often very stiff, but I rather like this little family group in their boots and stockings. I often think that by using these images the children pictured live on in our minds, even though no-one knows their names any more, and that's what I was trying to convey when I used the butterflies.