Friday 4 May 2012

Cherish the Little Things ...

Good advice - and something I've been trying to do in the middle of the recent chaos we've been living through.  I didn't actually make this page at the time but some days before the brown stuff hit the fan ... but it certainly fits how I'm feeling now!
Anyway, as you can see below it began with waves of colour using my Caran d'ache crayons - if you've been with me a while you'll know that I've made a number of these wavy line pages.  They really seem to work, especially if you've got a lot to get off your chest (even if you don't know when you start what you need to say to yourself ... that's what makes art journalling so powerful isn't it?
I've also added some black lines for definition, and some silver ones - I like adding a touch of metallic, it really lifts the page somehow.  There's another element at work here too - I believe that you have to search for the seam of gold (or indeed silver) in your life, even if it looks humdrum, there's always something that lifts it beyond the ordinary, so I wanted to incorporate this idea too.

I was reading something about the wisdom you'd like to hand on to your grandchildren, which got me wondering what mine would be.  I thought of lots of big, wise stuff, but in the end this seemed perhaps the most important of all - contentment is a much under-rated state, but so precious when you have it, although of course you sometimes have to lose it before you understand that ....
And once I'd done all the writing I had a magnificent opportunity to do what I really LOVE, which is doodle to my hearts content!  And I did.  White Posca pen and Uniball Signo for a finer point, all kinds of thicknesses of black waterproof pens, and a bit more silver too.
Happily the worst days of our crisis are behind us, at least for now, but there's still a lot of stress and difficulty around as we try to move mum towards acceptance of the need for residential care.  Right now I really need to take my own advice - and cherish and appreciate all the small joys that come along, because they're little lights in a greater darkness ....

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Perfect Rosie! We all need to slow down and just see all the wonderful things that are around us everyday. The stuff we take for granted is so easily overlooked and under appreciated.

Liz (Chubby Frog) said...

That's such a beautiful page on two levels - both to look at and the words written on it. It's a great outlook on life and we should all aspire to follow the advice.

Deborah said...

Wise words and a beautiful page.

Pat Beaumont said...

fabulous work - doodling is an art in itself

roc said...

what a great way to journal is right and you did a wonderful job. i'm sorry to hear you had a crisis. i will say prayers for you and your family.

Unknown said...

Wow!! Really gorgeous! Great post.

'The Crafting Owl' said...

Rosie, fab pages as usual and really inspirational. How else can I contact you???

Linda Vincent said...

Precious words...(so true)and a wonderful colour-scheme(was it just for me?) ;-)

Anonymous said...

may I show this on my blog?
herzlich Pippa