Saturday 26 May 2012

RECORDING A DECISION ...

I actually made this page some time ago, but I looked at it again and thought how well it fits for NOW as well, as if subconsciously I knew there'd be a need - stranger things have happened! We've made the decision this week that its time for US, and after 15 years of caring for my mother in law we're looking at residential care for her.  This page kind of affirms that too somehow, although originally it was about time for myself and letting go of the things I didn't want in my life  ...
As you can see below I started as usual with my trusty Caran d'ache watercolour crayons, making a swirly background of blues with touches of green - actually my favourite colour combination, although pink and orange also lights my fire these days.  I wasn't all that keen on this background when I'd done it (am sure you know the feeling), but have learned by experience that you don't have to LIKE it at this stage- its a background, you're going to put stuff on top, it will work, wait till you've written on it!
You'll have seen me do this often - add wobbly lines that sort of creep into the page.  Not sure where I got this from (it might even be an original idea) but I do it often.  Here I used a green Promarker and a metallic one (you can see this better if you click on the picture to enlarge it).  Metallics with blue always seem to look great, reminds me of under the sea or something.  The panel on the right is one of my earliest pages photocopied and cut up - a technique I picked up somewhere ....my addled brain can't remember.
Funny how things work too - I didn't know when I added the picture of stripey legs/feet that it would spark off me writing something about standing on my own two feet, standing by a decision.  Serendipitous how things work out isn't it?
Lots of doodling to finish this off and fill in those pesky blank spaces that I can't seem to leave alone.  The doodle at top left was totally random at the time, but now I look at it again reminds me of a shell with complex chambers ... well you know what I mean, and I do know it looks a bit like a shuttlecock too!!  And yes of course, now that its finished I do like it, and the background seems just right, so trust yourself when you feel unsure about a page and wait and see how it all comes together.  If you still hate it when you're done you can always rip it out - and I have done occasionally.

Watch this space to see if we manage to hold fast to decisions made - not always easy, and it may take some time, but whatever happens I'm sure to make a page about it, after all this is my THERAPY!!

6 comments:

roc said...

family care decisions are always hard. so many emotions enter into them. i always say if you feel good about your decision and it has clarity for you, then it must be a good choice. good luck and god bless as you move towards them.

Carol Q said...

do like that page Rosie. it's one that you may well visit often to remind yourself of your decision....and good luck with that, not an easy one I imagine.

flutterbycrafter said...

What a lovely page, beautiful colours and of course all your doodling. A very difficult decision, but one which has to be made, not easy for you both xx

Deborah said...

Not an easy decision, I am sure, but if it feels like the right one then just go for it. I think Rosie's Arty Stamps sounds like a brilliant idea too.

Madeleine said...

It's a lovely page, great coloring! I always enjoy reading about the process of how you make your pages...

Pat Beaumont said...

another great page - I love the way your work just seems to evolve seamlessly