Saturday 15 August 2015

JEWELS ....

 
I wrote last week about a close family member with a possible cancer diagnosis.  It was my husband, and earlier this week he had surgery to remove a tumour, and is now home recovering.  It all came completely out of nowhere (and it was very lucky that the problem was spotted),  just as we are planning to retire in the next few months.  The prognosis is good so (most of the time) I'm not scared about the future, but it has taught me that I must not take anything for granted and just treasure all the time we have together!

So in very serious and reflective mode this page began with a coat of cheering pink paint and some basic collage.  I always tell people that I don't really do fancy backgrounds - they aren't necessary if you're going to cover everything up the way I do.
I gradually laid down more bits of blue collage, and when that was done used a black Posca pen to provide a strong outline, and a white one for some doodling.
Having no idea where this was going, I then doodled some more  - the dangly "jewels" were inspired by a bead curtain I saw the other day.  The other doodled sections were added because I was trying to escape from my usual "border around a rectangle" style.
I've been wanting to improve my drawing of faces lately, so I painted a simple ivory face shape in the corner, added hair with a Posca paint marker, and took in from there in terms of adding colour and shading.
Since she probably represents a (younger) me, in the end I could only write what was going on in my head that day - which was and is a determination that from now on nothing will be taken for granted and I will joyfully celebrate every moment I can with the man who has walked beside me for more than 40 years .....
You truly never know what lies around the corner, and life comes with no guarantees.  That's one of those things you know but don't really BELIEVE until it comes to you.  Six weeks of chemo lie ahead to be got through, and shortly after that we'll be moving to our retirement flat.  I hope the days we spend there, however many we are given, will all be jewels ....

6 comments:

Debra Davison said...

Having just been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I understand what you are feeling .... You will have good days & bad days but what is important is that you have each other .... Sending you and your husband healing & positive thoughts to get through what lies ahead ...

Janet said...

My husband and I had a scare recently, too, so I know how it feels. Your page is a beautiful reminder for all of us.

Mary said...

i can imagine all that had been swirling in your mind and heart...all the unknowns...
so very thankful for the good outcome. praying for good and complete recovery.

Beacee said...

A lovely page and a message we all need to remember.
love and prayers for you both,
Barbara x

Anonymous said...

Hello Rosie, I am so sorry to read the news about your husband's diagnosis, but glad to hear the prognosis is good. Your art is going to help you through this. I found that when things got too difficult for me art was/is the way I process it all. Standing right by your side Rosie and sending positive thoughts your way. Big love from AJ :-)

alexa said...

Rosie, I am late in arriving and so sorry to read this ... Your ability to make such a beautiful page in the midst of such difficulties is truly inspiring.