Sunday 21 February 2016

UNFAMILIAR TERRITORY ...

 
This is me being experimental .... I may have mentioned before that I've been studying Australian Aboriginal Art, where everything is done with dots.  I came across one work that had been done with lighter colours on a dark background, and that gave me the idea to paint the page burgundy and work on top with pale shades.

You can see below my first efforts - the plant motif is a classic one used throughout Aboriginal art, I think it probably represents a native species since these shapes are ubiquitous in the art form. Anyway, making outlines just using dots (with my Posca paint pens) was a very interesting and kind of meditative way of working.
Then I began to add leaf shapes, this time out of my own head, although I guess every continent must have a plant with a generic leaf like this?  What I loved about working with the dots was that you could give the impression of images behind and in front very easily, so although I'd put the white plants on first I could later add the leaves "behind".
I added a few more leaves, a face and the statement about unfamiliar territory.  Now that he's home from hospital there is no road map for how to proceed, we just stumble along day to day trying to work out what to do.  Its uncomfortable a lot of the time - adults aren't used to feeling so out of their depth and unsure what to do next - quite apart from the fact that the cared for (me) has had to become the caregiver.  Very hard for someone with extremely limited energy, but we have managed somehow.
This is the finished page with my usual doodles and embellishments, but it does at least feel like I pushed myself to work in a new way and extended my boundaries in the process.  The black lettering didn't stand out very well, so I outlined it in white - I'm not convinced that it was an improvement but there you go.  I wonder now if I should have just done white lettering?  Whatever, it is what it is.
Perhaps I should have put in two faces hiding in the undergrowth, because here the two of us are, feeling each step of the unfamiliar way .... but its OK because we also feel ourselves held and protected in the hand of God.  I could not have come through the challenges of the past 10 days in particular without that knowledge.  And today he made his first outing, just 21 days after massive surgery, so we are getting there, one small step at a time!!

3 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Hang in there Rosie. I think you are showing great strength in the middle of this adversity ... I like your artjournal page. its good to step out of your comfort zone in your artwork now and then. It helps you grow. I think i might have made the dots spaced out a little more but even so i bet it was fun to make... You should try more this way. I think the dark lettering is helped greatly by the white outline...and the dark lettering goes with the face and therefor needed.. Hugs! deb

viv said...

What lovely work Rosy. Hope to see you soon

alexa said...

I like the black and white - it pairs very nicely with the face ... And it feels very appropriate that at this experimental time for you both, it should be showing up in your lovely artwork too. I like the dots and the feeling of layers. Sending warmest good wishes.