Sunday 6 August 2017

RESPONSIBLE ...

 
I actually made this page some time ago, and its taken this long for me to feel OK about sharing it.  We retired 18 months ago, and himself had to have major surgery, but its at least a year since he's been (to our huge joy and gladness) well and strong again.

However, we had (like you do) talked and dreamed about all the things we would do with the time once free of the demands of a 24/7 job.  My ambitions were modest - make arty stuff during my frequent and regular periods of enforced resting - and go for the occasional happy outing with himself.  He hasn't done any of the things on his list - like join a choir, bike over to the bird sanctuary, go for regular walks, maybe volunteer somewhere ... and I haven't been on his case because he needs time to adjust, right?

But it FEELS like he is always waiting for me to come up with a plan - and I have to be the one going "let's do this, let's go there". He never makes suggestions - 'shall we pop down the town for a coffee and people watch', or 'do you fancy a run out to' (insert name here).  Nor does he "do his own thing" - see above, which leaves me feeling that I have to come up with ideas for outings or keep him company in case he is bored.  I know retirement is a big adjustment, but .... well its proving a bit difficult.

So I made a page about it because that's what I do when I've got something nagging away at me.  Started with orange paint and dropped water onto it (on purpose) when it was dry.  Not quite the exciting effect I was hoping for - it works better on watercolour and this was acrylic.
Then I started to collage around the edges and draw wobbly black lines.  I always draw wobbly lines because they are so forgiving.  If I set out to draw straight lines I'd probably mess it up, so I give myself permission to wobble across the paper in any way I choose. Try it some time - its very freeing because there's no way to get it wrong!
And then I added something to represent me - in this case I altered a Modigliani lady a bit.  She's thinner than me, but that's definitely not a problem.  I then I wrote down what was really on my mind.
As you can see below I doodled and drew some more but I'd got down essentially what I needed to acknowledge to myself.
It isn't up to me to provide entertainment/happiness for him - he has to find things he enjoys for himself. Anyway he's always been resistant to suggestions!  Once I accepted that he had to find his own path, and I needn't feel guilty for not doing it for him, or worry about him too much, I felt lighter.

But I do have one purely selfish request - which is the cry of many people whose partners have retired and are "under the feet".  Please PLEASE beloved, could you find something that takes you out for just one evening a week so I can watch the TV programmes I like without you moaning?  I've got endless episodes of One Born Every Minute and the whole of The Handmaid's Tale lined up just waiting for the day .....  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great page and I really understand the sentiment. Both my husband and I are unemployed and it can be very stressful

alexa said...

Wonderfully glowing page: the colours made me feel warm and optimistic! And your sentiment needs to be written on the door of every relationship therapist :). More power to your elbow!

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh honey... i know exactly what you are talking about... Hubby retired 2 years ago... and its so difficult for me not to feel like i have to fill his day with suggestions etc... 'entertain' him so to speak...I hate to see him looking bored for some reason... like the world will come to an end if he's bored... I have to let him find his own way... And oh yes i understand about having some 'me' time... that kind of went out the window when he retired... and i miss it.. sometimes terribly... to .. you know just do my own thing... like you said.. watch your own shows... be lazy... etc... I ask him if he ever just needs some 'me' time.. and nope he doesn't require that! lol ! Take care dear.. we will find our way through it.. Hugs! deb

TerryA said...

Happy to find your page and yes you have shared something that needs sharing " I have fibromyalgia also and am still trying to work but it is very difficult. I have recently found my artistic side again (it lay hidden for much too long) and it is helping. Maybe if I create art that is joyful then I will find joy again.

Anonymous said...

Hello Rosie, I am delighted with your work. I like how you show your process and how you use black line and color. And of course I too have fibromyalgia and arthritis, diabetes and about 4 other things. I still work full time and have recently taken on caring for my mother. Wow. Just reading that over for typos, I'd shake my head reading that someone else was doing all that. But, I do enjoy art and soon I will be able to retire. When that day arrives I will art all day. Best wishes to you and to all your readers. elizabeth

Ruth said...

I just found your blog, and love your art! My hubby is retiring next week, so I'm not sure what is going to happen with us. It's a bit scary, but also very exciting time. He's a very busy busy "A" type person, so I'm not sure how he will handle day after day being home.
I'm so glad I found your site, and look forward to seeing more of your techniques!
-Ruth