Sunday 19 February 2017

PAIN BEARER ...

 
When I made this page I took even more photographs than usual, to give a real step by step sense of how it built up.  I've been contacted recently by a number of people who are just starting out on the art journal journey, and who really want to understand the genesis of a page. So here goes!

Onto a very simple painted background - just two shades of light blue, ordinary craft acrylic paint - I cut out some simple collage shapes.  I use PVA glue from a very fine nozzle bottle to stick everything down - never glue stick because in a year or two the glue will have gone and the pieces are likely to fall off!  These pieces are nothing fancy, just bits and bobs culled from magazines and free catalogues etc.  I prefer dull finish paper but have also been known to use the shiny kind.
Now look below at what happens when I add a black line done with Posca paint pen 0.7 and a grey shadow using a marker pen -  Copic but you could use any.  See what a difference it makes, and how the elements now stand out from the background in a way they didn't before?
I knew I wanted to write about a Mother God figure, so I drew a face on a separate sheet of paper and painted it.  That way if you don't like the result you can begin again ... whereas if you work directly onto the page (and I usually do) it can be hard to fix your mistakes.  Here I am giving her the beginnings of flowing locks, drawing them out first with black pen.
Then I continued to add more and more flowing tresses, and forgot about using the black lines at all - but they can be added later.  What I was trying to do here was introduce the green shades.
And again, just see what a difference the black outline makes to the result ... and also in places a fine white line, just to add texture.
I had deliberately left quite a bit of space because I wanted to add some lines from a prayer I'd found, which had really touched the place of deep grief I was in.

So once again the fine black paint pen came into play - my lettering is self- taught over a number of years.  I use simple outlines and then embellish with thin and thick elements, not to mention curly ends to letters and so on.  Study lettering wherever you find it, notice elements you like, use changes of size or capital letters, and most of all PRACTICE until it becomes second nature.
And below is the finished page.  I sort of regret the green jagged parts on the lower page - I was trying to introduce more of the green but am not sure that it worked.  However, I'm not planning to change it now.
One of my very closest friends died this week, and this page grew from not knowing how to contain all that I feel.  I found myself looking at a version of the Lord's Prayer from the New Zealand prayer book, and it just really "hit the spot" as they say, especially the "pain bearer" part.

Here is how it begins ....

Eternal Spirit
Earth-maker, pain-bearer, life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven ...

There's more, but this was the part I needed for that day.  Making this page and these words got me through a storm of grief.

2 comments:

alexa said...

Oh my goodness, I have a bit of a storm going on within myself and looking and reading ... Firstly, I am sad to hear that one of your dearest friends has died, and will holding you and "Rosie's friend' close this week especially. Your beautiful page has also such a lot of anchored steadiness in it, along with the flow. The change between Her hair and then Her hair outlined in black and white is really striking. And I didn't know that version of the Lord's Prayer. Thank-you. I am off to google the rest in a moment. Thinking of you ...

Sande said...

Very sorry to hear about the death of your friend and hope you gather strength in knowing she would want to carry on in her honor. I've been on your blog for about a hour and this might be my favorite so far...wow! Just wow! I am at a loss for words...it says so much. I've never heard of that version but will check it out. As soon as I studied your page a song from the '90's popped into my head. Sadly I am brain dead today and can't wrap my head around the name of the song. I believe it's a GooGoo Dolls song but they say something on the lines "what if god is a women." Gorgeous page that speak to many of us. Thank you for sharing.