Saturday 30 January 2016

WASTING TIME ON FEAR ...

 
This page marks a substantial shift in my thinking, and one that I hope I can hold onto in the coming hours and days.  The nearer we got to the major surgery, the more time I spent praying desperately and frankly allowing my fear to completely overwhelm me.

A day came when I realised that I was assuming the worst rather than hoping for the best, and that this approach didn't make any sense!  Its one thing to be realistic and acknowledge the risks of the operation, or the reality of the survival statistics, but its as if I was so determined to be sensible and pragmatic that I was failing to allow for hope, not to mention grace.

I knew when I set down the paint below that I wanted to describe and record this change in thinking, but not exactly how to do it.  I've learned that all you can do is BEGIN, so that's what I did using ordinary craft paint in three different shades.
Then I added some collage and it shouldn't be any surprise that it turned into a sort of sunrise image ... it really had been about the light dawning!  I've set these pictures side by side so that once again you can see the difference that a black outline and a grey shadow makes.

















And then I started writing down everything I'd come to understand, and my decision to choose hope rather than assume the worst.  I do know that bad things might still happen, but overall the statistics for this type of cancer are good, with a high survival rate.  Removal of the bladder sounds really scary, but the more I learn about it the more I realise that its actually quite straightforward to manage and no big deal.  So, as I wrote at the head of the page, I'm not wasting any more energy on fear, I'm hoping and believing that this operation can be a total cure - words used by the surgeon. Maybe I got a bit knocked off course by the sudden death of my friend's husband on the operating table ... and feared a similar outcome.  I'm (trying) not to do that any more.
And then as per usual I got busy writing and drawing etc etc adding squiggly bits and generally filling up the page until it looked finished.  I do feel that a page should always have some human element - a face or an eye - just something to represent myself or humans generally.
The surgery is Monday, and it will be a long day (about 6-8 hours) before we know he's come through it OK, but I and many others will be holding him in prayer the whole time.  I've got my lovely daughters here at home with me, they've rallied to our side magnificently, so if I do have a few wobbles they'll be at my back.

I thank God that this is the kind of cancer on which its possible to operate - many aren't - and that we have a good chance of coming out on the other side of his recovery with a chance to start the retirement fun that's been put on hold.  Bring it on!

5 comments:

Debs M said...

Great page, trust/hope/positivity are the way to go x

jinxxxygirl said...

Rosie.... he's gonna be okay. I'm telling you Rosie...hear me... he's gonna be okay. Have you said that outloud to the Universe? You have to put it out there ..you know on the wind...say it out loud... he's gonna be okay... Keeping you in my thoughts..Hugs! deb

deni said...

Thank you for your transparency is sharing about your fears and this page. I struggle with fears about my health and finances. I am going to write down your words about not wasting time on fear. Wish I knew how to express my thoughts and feelings on my pages like this. I end up with pretty pages, but ones that don't mean anything. Praying for the surgery.

Giulietta said...

So glad to read that you got here! Suddenly you realise what peace of mind feels like!
Thinking of you all this week. Keep us posted.

Beacee said...

Only just caught up. Love and prayers for you both xxxx