Saturday 19 January 2013

WISE? Not me ....

This page came directly out of one of the readings at church - which was that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"  That really got me thinking!
You know the one about "older and wiser", well I got to wondering if I am - wise that is, and I guess you can see how my mind meandered on from that.
I'd made this background I wasn't very pleased with - as you know I try to experiment outside my comfort zone - and this is Distress inks, and I've stamped the curly pattern around the edges.  I never seem to get very intense colour with distress ink - possibly because the repeat movements to build up layer upon layer are difficult for me and make my arm hurt!  I've got these sponge dabbers I rather like, but wasn't too keen on the result when I dabbed the orangey bits on.  Never mind, it seemed right to use it anyway. 
I actually drew the owl on a separate piece of paper and then stuck him onto the page, but the branch was drawn directly on.  My owl is version 3 or 4 (I wouldn't like to show you 1 and 2) and he looks a bit bad-tempered if you ask me! 
And this is how it looked when I'd finished doodling and drawing on it.  It still isn't a page I'm madly enthusiastic about (which is why I haven't blogged it before now) but I do like and want to remember the sentiment, because it still speaks strongly to me.  I'm old and wise enough to know that I've learned the most through making mistakes and blunders, even if the memory of them still has the power to make me cringe ....

PS Anyone want to buy my collection of (unloved) Distress Inks????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to make mistakes in order to gain wisdom.
So good to see your latest post Rosie. Was beginning to feel a bit insecure as there haven't been so many lately. Hope that you are feeling stronger and suffering less with your back.
Love and blessings from Devon.961

Anonymous said...

Don't know where that 961 came from!

alexa said...

Yes, he has character, this owl that scowls! I feel if I don't agree with him There Will Be Trouble. I guess I see 'mistakes' as simply things I hadn't learned yet. Fleeing in haste! (PS the soft orangey gold effect is very warming and hopeful).

Carol Q said...

love your curly, dotty edging Rosie and a wonderful owl. I agree with anon - if you don't make mistakes you don't learn!

viv said...

I just love you journals Rosie.
I must have a go myself this year.