Wednesday 11 January 2012

THE GATE OF THE YEAR ...

This time I thought I'd show you a picture of my worktable as I began my page - the tin on the left contains my Caran d'Ache watersoluble crayons which I can't recommend highly enough. I only wish I could afford the giant set of 84 colours rather than the 30 this contains!! I've put it on my Amazon Wish List so you never know? This was the last page of my journal - rather appropriate since it was also 1st January - and you can see the door image by Paper Whimsy cut out and waiting on the right (couldn't find a gate). I'd already begun to rub the crayons over the page, leaving a gap for the picture - the colours kind of melt and change like magic when you work on them with a wet paintbrush.
You can see that here - you get a kind of watercolour effect, and I often go back in and add more, particularly around the corners and edges - the more you add the deeper the colour. I also begun to write out this lovely poem ... which I always think of as each year turns.
This is only the first section of it, but obviously all the verses wouldn't fit! I then went to town on the page in terms of doodling, decorating and generally filling up the space! If the bit at the bottom makes you think of a sunrise/sunset that's deliberate, because the remainder of the poem speaks about "the breaking of day in the lone East", and you do get these pinks and purples, particularly at dawn.
For the decoration around the door I was thinking about the infinity of days ahead, and all their possibilities (more journals to fill, more people to love) so I was trying to suggest that behind the door the horizon stretches away beyond our sight. Well I knew what I meant, and I do love just doodling away. This has all been done with a combination of black pen - I like the Pilot waterproof drawing pens in different nib sizes, white pen by Uniball Signo and definitely the best, and of course Promarkers. Happy New Year even if it is the 11th. (Already? How did that happen?)

10 comments:

ireneinhetatelier said...

Ohh, I love the poem! You've used it to make such a beautiful page...

Juls said...

gorgeous! Love the fabulous purple colours and all the doodling! Hugs Juls

Crafting Queen said...

Stunning and I love the words.

alexa said...

Very lovely page ... I especially like those 'infinity' lines and patterns either side and 'behind' the door which seem to stretch into he Beyond. :)

roc said...

always so full of meaning - i love that. great job!

Angelnorth said...

Great journal page, love your take on the words with the sunrise and the possibilities stretching off to infinity behind the door!

Linda Vincent said...

Wonderful doodling Rosie...and lovely words too. Hope 2012 is especially good for you.
xx

salamanda said...

Beautiful blend of colours and I like the poem. Yup think I'm hooked on journalling.

Kaowyn said...

This is beautiful and moving in equal measure. I love your attention to detail Illustrating the poem. Also, your handwriting is very strong and clear.

gillyb's crafting blog said...

oh my goodness, what a beautiful beautiful page.