Saturday 28 January 2012

CALMED AND COMFORTED ...

If you follow my blog you'll know that I've been battling my way through all sorts of setbacks, large and small, lately, and I made this page at a time when I'd decided that all I could do was rest in the promises that (in the end) all will be well. When you can't change something, not even by worrying about it, you just have to let it go, right?

So that's what I was trying to do here, and thinking about the words in Psalm 131. I think of God as a mother a lot, and so I drew this image of the child on its mother's breast and I wanted both her face and the child's to be very serene. The baby might be me, but it could just as easily be you ... it works as an image and metaphor whatever, doesn't it?
Then I started to write out the quote - feeling my way with this style of lettering which borrows heavily from Teesha Moore, but has sort of morphed gradually into my own (I hope). I drew lines first but ended up making the letters of different heights, so they were just there as a guide and I rubbed them out later. Out with the trusty Promarkers and I began to colour the lady - choosing this restful grey-blue.
Then it was finishing the lettering, adding the background colour, and lots of doodling. And of course there had to be elements of gold pen too - I know I've spoken before of the golden thread which runs through everything, so it had to be here. By the time this page was finished I was indeed calmed and comforted, ready to trust in whatever the future holds. Whatever would I do without the therapeutic opportunities of journalling to work things out in this way ..... ?

10 comments:

Ali said...

This is just beautiful! Your drawing is fabulous! Only wish I could draw that well... and the image and the colours are indeed calming and soothing and the whole page has a very calm feeling to it. Just lovely.

Beacee said...

This is so beautiful! (As was your previous post, though in quite a different way.) This is one of my favourite psalms, thank you for sharing it.
Love and prayers, Barbara

muriel said...

Hello! I am now 54 and it is only recently that I have come to stop worrying, understanding at last that it doesn't help. I find I am much calmer and more serene and of course, that things don't get worse. I love your page.

Unknown said...

This is glorious Rosie and so full of emotion ... I love it! Thank you for your encouraging and lovely comments on my blog ... Health warning though ... Those White dots are really addictive :0) be well my friend x

Alix said...

oooh my favourite for yonks...love these god~like women you draw xxxx

roc said...

wonderful page and sentiment rosie.

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, this is really beautiful - stunning drawing.

alexa said...

Wow, Rosie, you draw AS WELL? This is very beautiful indeed: I really do think you could go into producing pictures/posters/postcards ... lots of things! I'd be thrilled to see these in production ...

Linda Vincent said...

Oh I love your drawings....you should do more!
X

Gallery from the soul said...

your soul is beautiful and you have something really true . thanks for sharing your works . This one I love !