Tuesday 15 January 2019

PEACE AND SILENCE ...

 
When I was a lot younger, along with the majority of my peer group, I enjoyed listening to music radio.  Gradually I shifted my allegiance towards talk radio, the serious kind, which is BBC Radio 4 in the UK.  A decade ago I would have had the radio on most of the day, but then I began to select to stream only the programmes I really wanted.  Now I've come to appreciate quietness more and more, and have days when I don't turn it on at all.  It might just be me, but I wonder if less external noise is something a lot of people crave as they grow older? 

I started this page with no sense of purpose or direction, but chose to use soft blues for my painted background ... seeking a kind of visual quietness? 
I just let the blue collage grow and spread in soft curving shapes with no hard, straight lines ... and as you can see the grey shadow and black outline manages to delineate individual areas and yet at the same time unify the elements into a whole.  The word "life" just looked right when I put it there!
I added hair to the lady at the bottom and a little bit of doodling.  The pink just sort of crept in, but there's not too much of it.  That left me with a big blank space in the middle, and (after some staring into space) I just wrote this in it - a quote from the desiderata which I've always loved.
Some people might have left it like this, but I was unable to resist the temptation to doodle on it a bit more until a point came when it felt finished.
I've discovered that I need silence more and more - just as my health problems mean I have to rest a lot, so I also need to rest my poor tired brain or I suffer from sensory overload.  I could play instrumental music but I only do so occasionally, I'm just happy with my own thoughts a lot of the time, and do some of my best praying in that space.
Love
Rosie

4 comments:

Connie said...

I can relate to your post. Most days I love to create in silence. Heaven knows, my thoughts are noise enough at times. The blue is a beautiful tone and pink is my favorite color. I’m glad you kept doodling, it adds so much interest to your piece. Love your art and please take care.

viv said...

Hello Rosie, I too need silence to think but don't get it very often. Hope You are having a good new year.
This year I hope to do my own journals (fingers crossed)

Dawn said...

I am soo pedantic, the 't' isn't x'd. Anyway, I find I can't listen to music anymore or television. I just put a dvd on in the background as I find things too quiet otherwise

alexa said...

I really like the doodley additions, especially the white - seems to add a lightness and airiness. Another lover of silence here, though a little wind in the trees and a smidgen of bird song from time to time is a nice addition. Silence is just so restful. Balm to the soul. As is your lovely page :).