Sunday 4 March 2012

LET YOUR SPIRIT FLY ...

I recently bought a handbag from Disaster Designs, whose stuff just makes me smile every time I see it (I've got one of their purses now too). My bag has birdies all over it, and came with a label which had birdies like those above on it. I was so tickled by how these made me feel that I set to work trying to draw ones like them (which was fun to do) and I added a stamped image at the top of a spiral binding. The lil birdy at the bottom is my own original design! This is one of those times when I worked directly onto the blank page, and then below you can see how I began to add colour around the images .... (and a few more birdies admiring the flying ones)!
When I add colour afterwards like this its almost always using either my Caran d'Ache crayons or Promarkers, because these give me the necessary control to go around the images. At this stage I didn't actually know what the page would be about (that often happens) but when I began to wonder why I liked birdies so much it came to me that its something to do with the freedom of flight. Inevitably that got me thinking about my physical limitations, but also the absolute truth that my spirit can still fly freely ....
Its an important reminder that I need not be limited by what my body can manage but, as I wrote at the bottom, I still have the wings of imagination to take me soaring .... Hope you will feel strengthened by my birdies to take your own wings. I love reading your comments and responses even if I don't often manage to get back to all of you. Happy Birdies to You!

2 comments:

roc said...

omg - i just adore birds! most of the time my art has a bird in it somewhere. don't know why i have such a fondness for them. so no doubts about why i love this page!

Linda Vincent said...

Beautiful! Love purple with green ...love the birdies.
Great page as always Rosie.