Monday 11 April 2011

NEW STUDIO - HOME AT LAST!

I can finally say that I'm settled into the new Studio - a real labour of love, long planned, and now it finally feels like home and the sanctuary I need it to be. This first picture shows you my working space, with a splendid view of the garage!! However you can't have everything, and anyway I plan to be way too busy for much gazing out of the window .... I've got pictures of my lovely daughters, my box of Truth Cards, and all my essentials close to hand, not to mention the restorative coffee in the pink spotty mug! The furniture is all Ikea - two Vika tables - the longest ones available) and a variety of chests to fit underneath.
If I turn to my right this is the view of the door end of the room, where you can see that I've even managed to fit in a small table and an extra chair (also basic Ikea), just in case I can persuade anyone to come and play (working on that already)! Notice the gas fire (result!!) which sits right behind me - the days of freezing in the winter months may actually be over ... You also get a glimpse of the pink bunting I made, thinking the massive expanse of white ceiling needed one final cheering touch. Almost everything is stored in Really Useful Boxes collected over a number of years. Its on the open shelving I inherited with the room, which wouldn't have been my first choice (it means you can actually see just how much stuff you've accumulated, never a good plan) but you have to work with what you've got don't you? One day I've promised myself that I'll have an American style Studio all fitted out with kitchen units so I can hide it all away and make like I've hardly got anything and really need more stuff .... he he he ... good plan eh?
The pink spotty curtains are another cheerful note in the white room - after all to paint the walls pink would have been overkill, right? Yes, that's what I thought too. The light is pretty good in here, the room having 3 windows (even if the main one faces north) and I'll be able to have my daylight lamp up too, whenever I discover the safe place in which I put the clamp which holds it to the desk. Duh, so safe I haven't found it yet.

Over the fire I've hung my noticeboards, one filled with little gifts and reminders of dear friends, and one soon to have parish rotas, lists of churchwardens, and other necessary stuff on it. Below is a picture of my other desk - with the computer and other business-like essentials, and my trusty sewing machine. The first shelf above the desk is dedicated to sermon writing and other churchy stuff, but all my sewing essentials are above, though unfortunately I need steps to get to the highest ones. Hey ho, nuthen's perfect.
In the corner there's a meter cupboard which I'm stuck with, but since its pretty sturdy I put it to good use and hung Ikea bygel rails on it to hold my collection of punches. I confess to actually needing a couple more rails to house them all, but these are essential tools aren't they, and you can never have too many, right? The pink buckets above my desk are Ikea and since this photo was taken I've actually hung them from the window ledge, which helps to keep the worktop clear. At the moment I have my SU inkpad collection in a CD unit to the left of my desk, but am hoping to invest in a purpose built wall hung unit soon.
The Vika drawers on the right of my workdesk (the wide shallow ones) are where I keep my wood mounted stamps - its perfect as I slide out the drawer and can see exactly what I have. They're arranged by theme - people, nature, words, and shapes. My clear stamps are in the A5 ring binders on the Expedit unit to the right, with my papers in the slim 12 x 12 boxes above. In the A4 ring binders I keep collage sheets and my catalogue of stamps - vital if I'm to find anything! The left hand set of drawers contains (going down from top) 1. Distress inks and small items such as eyelets etc. 2. Other ink pads and my collection of acrylic blocks. 3. Tools such as heat gun, cropodile and stamp wheels. 4. Yet more punches, ribbons and tapes, eg adhesive and foam. 5. The bottom drawer contains all the little mini books and albums I've made, such as the Christmas albums I make each year from the Shimelle class.

So that's the full 360 degree tour for you! As you can see the Studio is stuffed to the gunwales with the embarrassingly large amount of stuff I've collected - although in my defence I should point out that it has been the work of many years to accumulate all this. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Please tell me if you like my room - I'm rather proud (oh sinfulness) of how it has all turned out, and just dying to have somebody to admire ... ooops I mean SHARE it with!!

Am editing to answer some questions people have asked ... the floor isn't hardwood but is in fact a rather brilliant vinyl which is doing a seriously good imitation of wide oak boards. Nobody seems able to tell that its not what it is pretending to be, and I love the ease with which I can clean up. I did buy a clear floor mat from Ikea just in case the wheels of my chair damaged it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem so far. The lighting is another Ikea fixture with 4 spotlights, of which three are directed towards my workspace (or creation station as my man calls it) and the other onto my computer/sewing desk. Will have to wait and see if this is adequate in the darker winter months, in which case I may replace it with a fluorescent tube - less attractive but more practical. If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them.

42 comments:

donnalouiserodgers said...

not all pride is sinful, you are reaping the reward of invested hard work, and can now enjoy the fruit of your labours, it looks like an excellent space to work and play in - well done...

Dx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a good job you've done here, looking forward to seeing some good things come out of it!

julie said...

Love your new studio Rosie. Hope you spend many creative hours playing in there. Oh and no I still haven't moved into the dining room!
Juliex

Artyjen said...

I'm green! LOL It's a divine place to create.....hope you have many happy hours doing so. :)
xoxo Sioux

Sarah said...

what a lovely cheerful creative space - lucky you! glad all the hard work was worthwhile :)

Alix said...

wowzers...you've done an amazing job of fitting it all in and making it all pink! xxx

Sherry said...

I think your room is wonderful. I have a nice craft room myself, but oh, I must admit that I like your one a whole lot more. I love your wooden floor, the desks, the space, the light - all your pink accents (love the pretty curtains) - everything! Thanks for sharing and enjoy!!

Kaz said...

It looks fantastic Rosie, so bright and colourful and cheerful. I wish you many hours of painty fun in your room! I know it will always be this tidy too! x

Yvonne Moxon said...

It's lovely Rosie:) Enjoy!

SeasideKaren said...

Oh Rosie, I absolutely ADORE your gorgeous room, it's a vision in pink, truly scrumptious! And the best bit is you sound so happy and enthusiastic about your new space, which made me happy, too. So glad you're feeling positive again xx

thekathrynwheel said...

Your studio looks awesome, I'm hugely jealous, in fact I'm coming to live with you LOL! It looks both stylish and practical - hope you have lots of fun time in there.

JaneH said...

Oh, Rosie, that is just gorgeous. I normally don't like pink, but I just LOVE that hot pink!! Can't wait to see the fabby things you'll get up to in there.

Luna Art said...

Your new craft room looks wonderful, really spacious and light, I hope you have many creative hours in there!

alexa said...

It's so full of bright colour, and light (3 windows! - wow!), and so beautifully organised ... If you are writing sermons in here, they can't be anything but inspiring! Can't you just get the parishioners to do some art journalling instead? Equally good for the soul :) I hope you will have very many happy hours in here ... You're in the pink!

Paula said...

Wow you have been busy Rosie, its looking fabulous:D x

Katrina said...

What a beautiful room, so bright and airy. I would LOVE to come and play. Love the idea of the rails for punch storage. Off to tidy my creative retreat after seeing yours mines a disgrace!! ;)

VickiA said...

I'm moving in! Or kicking one of the kids out to have my own studio.

Jules said...

Ooh it's gorgeous! I'm hoping to move into my own studio in a few weeks, but it will be about a quarter of the size of yours! I'll be happy if it turns out as well as yours has though :D

jenny said...

fantastic room Rosie would you liketo come and organise mine now?

Handmade Hannah said...

A beautiful room Rosie. You have a lot of supplies, but at least they are organised. I love your 'punch wall'. Very nice way to store punches Thanks for sharing your photos :)

Ali said...

That looks beautiful, a real sanctuary - thanks for sharing.

PS you don't look like you have too much stash at all! Just a creative being :)

Linda Vincent said...

Your room looks so well-organised and cosy...you've really put your 'stamp' on it Rosie! ;-)
(Couldn't you find a pink chair?)

airing cupboard crafts said...

Rosie I love it whre do you live I am coming to play..... The curtains are gorgeous whre did you get the fabric? You should be proud it's wonderful x x x

Mel said...

This room is gorgeous and something I can aspire to. I'd love to have a room like this. Well done and enjoy
it!

Debbie H said...

JEALOUS!!!
It's absolutely gorgeous! Must have taken an age to organise but well worth it!

Ali said...

Oooh how lovely! Not only a great sized room with lots of space to work and create but also a really beautiful, bright, cheerful room. :)

Ali

Theresa Plas said...

O My Goodness!!! It looks FABULOUS!!!! Great Job Rosie:)

Gez Butterworth said...

Oooh your studio is gorgeous Rosie. I hope you have lots of happy hours. Happy crafting. Gez.xx

aardvarkpest said...

oh I am jealous what a lovely bright crafty room you have. Ideal to help take all those fibro pains away. I also have FMS so know what you go through.

Glenda

Carole Bryson said...

I'm green with jealousy Rosie - your room is amazingly beautiful - so bright and airy !

Jeannette said...

Your room is fab, I've also just recently finished my room, pics on my blog if you want to see. Those tables/desks from Ikea are great and the table tops are really quite cheap. I may be getting one of the larger ones to prop up against the wall behind my table so I can put things up on the wall. I rent so can't drill holes.

Ann Wills said...

Looks absolutely fabulous

LesleyG said...

It is so pretty, and so well organised! you are so lucky! May you have many fun hours in it! And I wish I could join you! x

SarahLP said...

Thanks for sharing, Rosie.. your craft room looks wonderful!!! So beautifully organised and I love the white and pink. Wishing you lots of happy creativity here!

Lorraine said...

One word WOW

Ok have to say more than one word what a great room and I love the colour and how you have pick out the pick to warm up the white, if you are still stuck for a crafting bubby I will gladly come and craft with you in that beautiful room.

Pegcraftalot.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely room Rosie, love the pink x

Becki said...

Ooh, gorgeous! You lucky lady, Rosie - I bet it's amazing to sit and craft in this beautiful room! Having just moved a few days ago we now need to kit our craft room out and this has given me loads of ideas. Thanks so much for putting the pics up!

Hugs,

Becki
xx

Daisy236 said...

Love your craft space, I'm dead jealous! The pink bits really make the room sing

Stephenie said...

You have an AWESOME space!! I am afraid I have the sinfulness of envy over your room. You have done extremely well.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Rosie - just found this post via Crafty Storage - what a great stamp room! Love all the pink. X

Clover in Devon said...

Love your studio Rosie, and to be able to fit a table for sharing it is mega. Thanks for sharing your lovely space. xx

Suzy said...

Rosie your room is a triumph I would love to come & visit, and sit at the blue table !!
Puts my room to shame which is a constant mess !