Tuesday 4 June 2019

STAYING HOME ...


Having to stay home and rest doesn't necessarily mean I'm not doing anything (as many people seem to imagine).  My interior life is a lot more lively than my social life, and just as well because without it I would definitely be stir crazy.

A painted background using 3 shades of acrylic paint in yellow/orange, getting some texture with baby wipes and scrubbing with an old paint brush.  I love these burnt orange tones - as you might have noticed if you follow my work regularly!
So the Modigliani lady in the orange sweater really just belonged on this page, and then I found some tissue paper with script on it which I absolutely loved, so pasted that down too.  Originally it didn't show very well against the background so I put a thin black line around it.
The torn edges of the tissue made nice shapes on the page so I added collage using the same wavy forms, just having fun finding colours and textures that seemed to belong there.  This was another occasion when I had no idea what I wanted to say at this stage ...  which is wonderfully freeing because you can just "go with the flow".
The words came because I looked at this lady and wondered if she was just staring into space or thinking.  I decided that, like me, her thoughts were far away but purposeful - perhaps reflecting on something or someone, praying for some need, whatever - the point is that she isn't just sitting there any more than I am on a rest day!  That is what I tell myself, so please don't argue!
This is a relatively simple page but it says what I needed to say and the colours bring me joy.  That's kind of the whole point of art journalling isn't it?
Rosie

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The shapes and the colors... I love it...

Unknown said...

Another beautiful piece. Thank you so much for sharing your finished work and also your process. I really look forward to getting an update in my inbox from time to time, I find I can't delete them! Each one is beautiful, complete and just right ... copacetic.

Ju Misty said...

This is fabulous Rosie! thank you for sharing your process and your wonderful art.

alexa said...

Just lovely - tranquil but with a warm energy! I always enjoy seeing your process and reading about the decisions you make along the way ...

Dawn said...

Wow what a moody piece. Love the colours xx