Monday 6 August 2012

ACCEPTANCE ....

I do make an effort to try new techniques and materials ... though isn't it funny how some things simply don't FEEL right, as if they don't belong to you??  Just me then?  Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with gesso - I love what I can do with it, but hate the chalky feeling.  I'm also a bit peculiar about tearing up books, even when they're complete nonsense like this one purchased at a car boot sale and entitled "children of the archbishop"!!  You can see why I couldn't resist buying it ....
 So there I was determined to be brave so I tore up text pages and stuck then on randomly (also not like me) and gessoed over the top - a breakthrough!  I disliked it intensely at this stage but was hopeful that it would improve.  You can see below that it did, with the application of paint (with which I also have a cool relationship) - I watered it down quite a bit so that you could still see the text through the colours.
So I had this OK(ish) sort of page that I wasn't liking all that much, and I didn't know what to write on it.  I have a box of clippings from magazines, newspapers and all kinds of stuff - so I started dragging out words that spoke to me, and this is what happened ....
I'd grab a word or phrase and stick it down, and then it would tell me what the next bit was, and so on, and all this stuff came out that I didn't know was in there let alone needed to get out!  Oh the power of journalling!
If I'd known what I was doing at the time I might not have done it all in such straight lines, but what the heck.  I am a known and unreconstructed straightist - I can't help it.  You may also notice that Pollyanna has been around here again (quite an annoying person at times) but you have to talk yourself into positive thinking somehow, right?

Am not particularly enjoying the Olympics (I don't do sport) but its impossible not to get somewhat caught up in it all, and I was so chuffed for Andy Murray yesterday.  Have got my two older grand-daughters staying (aged 7 and 5) which is a distinct challenge for a person of limited energy.  Fortunately for me they are currently out at the supermarket with Grandpa "helping" him do the shopping!!  They may be gone some time .....


9 comments:

flutterbycrafter said...

Well this has turned out to be a wonderful piece, you must like it, it's fabulous x

Anonymous said...

One to push the trolley, one to use the scanner----it takes an age. Enjoy the P & Q while you can !!
Pam
x

Cath Davidson said...

Your work is SO inspirational - thank you for sharing :) - LOVING the Olympics and have nothing else on the whole day at the moment.

Cath
x

House of Bears said...

What an inspirational page. We love journalling and this has made us want to do a similar page, thank you

Cath Wilson said...

Great idea, Rosie and so creative. I love gesso but I struggle with paints, a bit like you, I think - would much rather use inks/pastels/pencils because I feel more in control. I also tear out words from the TES supplement, which gives me great pleasure and they can be really useful for things like this... you've inspired me, so I must have a go when I get back. Great work x

Linda Vincent said...

I actually rather like the first picture ...but then you probably knew that ;-)
The final result is fab, as always, and we love hearing how you do these pages.
XX

alexa said...

I love your page - and the shapes of the words peeping through gives it a lovely texture behind your other great words. isn't it wonderful how our larger self manages to find the words and make our smaller self sit up and take notice!

Claire said...

This is priceless Rosie - you are a very talented artist !

Marcia said...

I love love this.....my feelings exactly! Enjoyed the story of your process! Keep sharing you ighten my day!